March 26, 2010

The Birthday Cake!

For those of you who are interested in the cake... here it is!

I didn't want to get too complicated with Daniel's cake because I was all caked out from my previous project.  So I decided to do something relatively simple - and yes this really is simple :)

Daniel's cake this year was an inchworm cake.  I got the idea from the Betty Crocker website, they have a lot of great kid's cake ideas that are very easy to do.  They use a lot of candy in their decorations, but since we don't really eat candy I just used icing instead.

















Start out with a bundt cake.  I made a lemon pound cake - yummy!
















Cut off 1/3 of the cake, cut it in half and use it to make the head and tail on either side of the 2/3 remaining cake which is the hump.  (Sorry I forgot to take a picture without the icing!)

Ice green (It takes a lot of icing to fill in the lumps from the bundt cake!  Oh, well...)
















And decorate...  Brown for the dirt/mud along the bottom, yellow feet and then the mouth and eyes.
















I particularly liked how the antenna turned out!  The instructions suggested using pretzel sticks for the antenna, but since Daniel was turning two it worked out perfectly to use two candles!
















There you have it :)  And one happy child to go along with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment